Grandma Edna’s Ginger Cookies (World's Best Ginger Snaps)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 t salt
- 4 T molasses
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar until well mixed, light, and fluffy.
- Beat together well the egg, salt, and molasses and then mix these into the above. (Grandma beat and mixed these by hand).
- Sift together flour, baking soda, ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add dry ingredients to first wet mixture and combine well.
- Chill in the refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
- After chilled, shape dough into balls about walnut sized and place balls on a greased cookie sheet, allowing room for expansion. Flatten balls with a fork.
- Bake in 350-degree oven 12 to 15 min. Do not let get too brown.
"In my oven, 12 minutes is about the right time. Otherwise they get too brown. This makes a very rich cookie. Sometimes I like to add a little more flour (maybe 1/4 cup) and add a tiny bit of water, maybe 1 Tbsp."